Sunday, July 31, 2011

How Can We Sleep While the Beds Are Burning?

For those that recognize this title it is a line from a song by Midnight Oil and I found it very appropriate for this post.

Last night around 9pm Dominic came running down the stairs yelling, "the chicken coop is on fire!" Ryan immediately zoomed out of the house, unplugged the extension cord that had the heating lamp plugged into it from the chicken coop, got the hose and was running with it to the chicken coop by the time I was outside. He is such a quick thinker. The chicken coop was in a roaring blaze! It was scarey! It took a few minutes but we got the blaze out and no chickens were harmed. We had already replaced chickens from a raccoon attack too. We were relieved the chickens were OK. It wasn't until after the fire was put out that we realized how bad it could have been. The coop is by our fence, also made of wood, and by some trees and the flames went to the tree branches above it. But the fire stayed to only the chicken coop.

The heating lamp for the smaller, younger chickens was strung up and we believe it fell and heated the cedar shavings and started on fire.

Seth came running from the bathtub to see the action so he came out in his towel but he's said I can't post pictures of him on here. He posed really good and everything in his towel! Dominic said as he was in his room getting ready for bed he had a prompting to look out the window at the chicken coop and saw it on fire. Thank goodness for the promptings of the spirit and for children who can recognize those promptings!!

I didn't get a picture of it on fire but here's some of the aftermath. So needless to say, I have lots to get ready this week for girls camp next week, 3 dresses to sew and now a chicken coop I get to help rebuild. We'll have to start all over on it. We have already thought of some different things we'd like to do with the new coop too so hopefully it'll all be good.

Here's a shot of the nests and the doors to them where they lay their eggs. Inside the nest on the left there is a golf ball. We put it in there so the chickens know where to lay. It's a common practice I'm told.


Here's Ryan hosing off the coop. You can see some of the damage to the inside.


Here's a shot of our neighbors RV carport. At the very bottom of the picture is the chicken coop and on his carport you can see the black soot mark from the fire. The flames were that high. Luckily the flames didn't get to the tree too.



Some of the damage in daylight.


Here's the culprit light. We'll have to get a new one.


Here's both sides of the coop. One was burned and the other hadn't yet caught fire.


Our chickens safe and sound.

4 comments:

  1. Whew what an adventure and a huge blessing it stayed in the coop! Good job Dominic! Way to listen to those feelings!! That is such a good/scary learning experience for him and all of the kids. :) Glad everyone is safe now... even the chickens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason says, "Wow! That makes for an interesting day."

    I'm glad to hear that your chickens are ok, and the fire didn't spread. I'm sure you're children are going to remember this adventure for a long time.

    - Neoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary!!! I'm so glad no chickens were hurt and you got it under control!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I am glad that it all turned out ok, that is scary. Good luck getting all done that you need to this week.
    - your cousin Liz (Neoma's sister)

    ReplyDelete